[+ discuss, mdsal-dev]

On 05/09/2019 19:24, Anil Vishnoi wrote:
>     As for the next steps, I think we need to migrate these models to
>     openflowplugin, where they can be maintained, as that world is the only
>     place that really uses them.
>
> As far as upstream OpenDaylight is concern this make sense to me, but we
> need to be careful about the downstream consumer. Downstream user who
> just use core ODL projects (Controller, yangtools, mdsal,aaa) to develop
> their standalone application might be using these models, so this
> movement will break them and to solve this they will have to put
> dependency on openflowpluing, which they might not want.

That is a valid concern, yes.

The answer really lies in packaging, as if you are using karaf, you will
have openflowplugin-features added to you distribution. Those would not
be installed, but will bloat the distro & confuse the users.

On the other hand, every feature we build is a separate repository, so
while you'd depend on openflowplugin-artifacts, you do not have to
depend on openflowplugin-features -- I think.

Without Karaf, you depend on whatever you like, so yeah, you get tied up
with OFP release cycle, but other than that there should not be a problem.

As far as those models are concerned, platform (mdsal/controller/netc)
position on them can be summed up as:

Migrate to using ietf-network(-topology), which are shipped from MD-SAL
for a year now. There are RFC8345 standard and are not expected to make
in the foreseeable future.
As a further note, while performing that migration, also move away from
using yang-ext.yang routed RPCs by switching to YANG 1.1 actions. Such
models are not supported by legacy RESTCONF (which itself is
deprecated), but are fully supported by RFC8040 RESTCONF (which is the
only actively supported version).

On a related note, this discussion will also be coming up with relation to:

ietf-packet-fields
ietf-access-control-list
ietf-lisp-address-types
ietf-ted
ietf-topology
ietf-topology-isis
ietf-topology-l3-unicast-igp
ietf-topology-ospf

as MD-SAL will be gradually dropping at least those, which have been
superseded by RFCs.

Regards,
Robert