Having looked at the required data model more in depth, and looking at my own
feature wish list, I'm no longer convinced that Drupal is the right tool for
this job. (Drupal doesn't handle hierarchical data models very elegantly.) I'd
be curious to see what MediaWiki could do. From my own experience, this seems
like something that could be best done in RoR or Symfony2, but I have no
MediaWiki experience.

Regardless of the platform, I'd like to remain involved, whichever direction we
go.

Cheers,
Daniel