On 22 May 2013, at 13:15, Dave Crossland <d...@lab6.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 22 May 2013 22:07, Vernon Adams <v...@newtypography.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Or, is there something i am not understanding in this?  :)
>
> I think its unreasonable to expect every person publishing a blog who
> makes their own subset to contact every copyright holder every time
> they want to use a new OFL-RFN web font.

But isn't it exactly for that scenario that a designer will publish without an
RFN?
If a designer wishes to make a font available under the OFL without RFN-caused
restrictions on subsetting etc then he/she will publish without an RFN. Not
difficult :)
Still not seeing why no RFN needs to be the default position. I'm very open to
persuasive argument tho.

> I think the desirable effect of RFNs can be preserved with a trademark
> license, while alleviating the undesirable effect of prohibiting
> subsetting and other trivial changes while retaining the name users
> are familiar with.

Any chance you can give an 'idiots guide' on how a trademark license would
preserved some of the effects of the RFN? I'm unsure how and when this
trademark license would work? What would it be aimed at preventing?

cheers

vernon