Is it not possible to include with a font, alongside the OFL, a 'pre-emptive
permission' text that gives the user the go-ahead to use the RFN named in OFL
text when a font has been modified by subsetting, re-hinting, etc, (i would
have to think of the full list) ?? Seems a sensible solution to me.

-vernon