On 16.1.2013 23:46, Devlin, Alex wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies Vladimir and Lubos!

It sounds like this problem is unique to our configuration. I'm using mat,
jmap, and jmx to try and track down any useful information now. Also, one other
question: How much RAM does your inhouse machine have? Our production version
currently has 8gb but we're concerned that this may not be enough (even without
the leak).

(not sure if jmx will help ;) )

Well, due to zfs and other(file serving) purpose of that box the memory of opengrok server is 48GB
It's a busy server too, hence tomcat6 was tuned a bit.
I can see the tomcat6 instance currently eats 5G of ram (so it might have been set to more than 4G mem). Note that we talk about 70GB of sources indexed. Indexes themselves are around 85GB.

As noted previously I will try to decrease this memory footprint (on the cost of disk I/O), so I hope next version will dramatically decrease its memory usage(indexing might take 5% longer though, will see once I have some benchmarks, it could even stay the same, depending on OS caches and how good new lucene 4.0 indexing is).

hth

Thanks again,
-Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: opengrok-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:opengrok-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Vladimir Kotal
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:40 AM
To: opengrok-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [opengrok] Opengrok 11.1 Memory Leak

On 01/16/13 09:45, Lubos Kosco wrote:

<snip>

Get to 0.11.1 , I think no reindex needed, it should contain some
fixes we use 0.11.1 inhouse (not with perforce, but with 4 other scms)
and don't see any of this afaik (Vlada, any comments from your side?)
It's been very solid. We run 0.11.1 under 64-bit Tomcat6 and JavaDB (both
shipped with Solaris 11+) and serving variety of
Mercurial,Teamware,SCCS,svn,CVS repositories (mirrored and indexed daily). It's
been running like this since 0.11.1 came out.

It looks like this right now:

$ svcs -p tomcat6
STATE          STIME    FMRI
online         Dec_14   svc:/network/http:tomcat6
                 Dec_14        902 java
$ ps -yfl -p 902
S      UID   PID  PPID   C PRI NI   RSS     SZ    WCHAN    STIME TTY
       TIME CMD
S webservd   902     1   0  40 20 4926672 5704004        ?   Dec 14 ?
        148:04 /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/amd

No sight of memory leaks, the last restart was purely administrative.

v.