Dear all,

After spending some philosophical thinking on IS and organizations (Because
I have a bad flu and staying at home since 3 days!), I would like to comment
on this:

Our first course in Information Systems graduate program was a class given
by Business Administration Professor named Introduction to IS...And we had
used the book

Management Information Systems: Managing the Digital Firm

Kenneth C. Laudon, New York University
Jane P. Laudon, Azimuth Information Systems

ISBN: 0-13-153841-1
Publisher: Prentice Hall

What I learned from this course was clearly in order to make sustainable
success in ICT one has to become a "Learning organization/individual" in the
sense that after a certain success by developing an IS not to lay back and
get a wrong feeling of continuing success...This is what had happened to
most successful projects in the past just because people tend to get caught
by the satisfaction of what has been achieved and tend to follow
opportunistic ideals most probably brought by politicians/ capitalists
/governments.

So I now see VistA as a perfect opportunity to deliver a standards based and
first true interoperable EHR system...Why? Because you already have passed
an incredibly time/energy consuming phase of Problem Definition, Initial
Plan and more important elicitation of Requirements phases...So who in the
world can write down a better SRS for an EHR system than you? I guess no
one...Maybe some small sized/impact EU projects and not more... All needed
is a careful redesign and further coding/testing/deployment...And I believe
this has to be done before current version gets more popular and deployed in
many other sites...Why? Because there exists a "swtiching cost" not only by
monetary terms but also psychologically...Every change is blooody!

I would also like to remind you that not every takeholder is paid attention
yet in Mealth Informatics grounds...There is a huge Genetic community that
had solved its standardization/nomenclature problems and had already
deployed true interoperable systems worldwide...Please take a look at HUGO
affiliated Human Genome Variation Society web pages:

http://www.hgvs.org <http://www.hgvs.org/>

Also look at: http://hmut-tr.sourceforge.net/

There you will clearly see that all this genomic/proteomic and
histologic/micro clinical data awaits to be integrated with our so called
"Health Information Systems"...Only then we can start talking about True
Interoperability and mass data mining/knowledge extraction projects that
will yield in personalized healthcare; i.e. personalized drugs, therapies...

So that is my ultimate goal to integrate all genomic/proteomic, clinical and
physical environment data...And I am working on this individually! And the
very goal of the poor CEREBRUS project...But I see, the EU is now
approaching this in a more controlled, careful way and funding
projects...This is the very reason why I turned down the grant I got from
Harvard Medical School and remained in Turkey (Also the Bush problem of
course)...The message from Harvard researcher Kenneth D. Mandl was this:

I'm working on establishing regional and national biosurveillance with an
emphasis on data integration and algorithmic outbreak detection.

--Ken

After 9/11 all public funding went into bioterrorism! Funny ha? So even
Harvard can not resist populistic drives of politicians...

Best regards,

Dr. Koray Atalag

  _____