Wayne Wilson wrote:
>  >   From: "Tim.Churches" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  >
>  >Any other ideas for S3?
>  >
> 1) Wait for Google to offer it for free :)
>
> Seriously, Google already offers 2GB of free web 'mail' space.  Someone
> has already figured out how to make a file system like interface to that.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my post:

TC> I suspect that Google will follow suit, as they, like Amazon,
TC> already have the required infrastructure to host this sort of thing,
TC> and their Gmail service is already being used by many as an
TC> unofficial Internet file store (see, for example,

http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html

However, such use of GMail is unsanctioned and, if you read it
carefully, in conflict with the spirit of the usage agreement. Thus,
Google could pull the plug on such (ab)use of GMail at any time. The
difference with the Amazon S3 facility is that it is designed from the
outset for bulk data storage and access, and they do not dredge the data
to try to match advertisements against it (encryption prevents that
anyway). In fcat, there is no user interface to S3 - it is just an API
which you build into your application.

Google are rumoured to offer something similar quite soon, working name
"GDrive", but in the absence of a way to obtain revenue from it via
adverts, they will probably charge for it - but Amazon has set the bar
for such charges at a remarkable low level.

> This is the tip of an iceberg in the developed countries that further
> widens the gap between the 'Netties' and network impoverished.
> What if storage on the net is free and unlimited? What if all electronic
> information is indexed on the net?  How would one design distributed
> systems when the storage and retrieval of data became decoupled (and
> replaced with a web service)  from the systems you use to manipulate
> that data?
>
> What are the issues?
>   Who is in control of the data?  Where are the boundaries of control?
>    How can I trust them to do what they say they will do with the data?

You can't, as I pointed out in my post:
TC> I wouldn't trust the Amazon assurances of privacy for the data (as
TC> Amazon are still subject to US search warrants and court orders for
TC> example, as well as simple security blunders - so any patient data
TC> would need to be strongly encrypted before sending it to S3 for
TC> off-site backup storage - but that should be routine practice for
TC> any off-site back-ups [or any other storage] of patient data on
TC> removable or transportable media anyway).

> Just so you don't think these are abstract issues, where I work we just
> promulagated policy that strongly suggested that google desktop be
> uninstalled or otherwise disabled on all organizational owned workstations.

Sure - the issue Wayne is referring to is the ability for the latest
version of Google Desktop to send copies of your local documents to the
Google servers for retrieval from a different computer - but that is
orthogonal to the uses of Amazon S3 which I suggested in my post, which
all involve the archival, back-up or temporary storage of *encrypted*
data - I suppose I should have spelt it out more clearly - things like
Amazon S3 are not useful for storage, even temporary or transient
storage - of confidential data unless it is strongly encrypted. Nor can
their reliability be absolutely relied on - it is likely to be very
good, but they provide no guarantees that they won't lose your data or
that it won't be inaccessible. Thus, I think that they should only be
used for back-ups or transient storage. Until Google brings out a
competing service. Then if you store your data on *both* Amazon S3 *and*
Google Gdrive, the risk of your data disappearing is vanishingly small.
But the data that your store on them still needs to be strongly
encrypted, OK?

Tim C