(I forgot that you can't forward an email as an attachment.  Here is the
announcement I was referring to:)

All:

I would like to take a moment to pause and acknowledge a significant
event that occurred this morning.  At about 11:30am EST, the OMG Domain
Task Force voted to issue Requests for Proposals for both the Entity
Identification Service (EIS) and Retrieve, Locate, Update Service (RLUS)
specifications.  Until today, the notion of developing Service
Functional Models in HL7 and transforming them into technical RFP's to
be issued to industry was just a destination to which we have been
diligently working towards for a year (with prework having begun far
before then).

On March 31st, 2007, "Letters of Intent" are due to the OMG indicating
companies and product vendors that will develop both technical
specifications and ultimately implementations of software (either open
source, reference implementations, or products).  [We're planning to
have one quarter dedicated to each RFP and how you may participate in a
submission at HL7 in San Diego in January].  I'm already aware of
companies that are exploring joining forces to collaborate as part of a
joint submission team.

I'd like to take a moment in particular to thank and congratulate Alan
Honey and John Koisch, whom have been championing these specifications
not only within HL7, but within the OMG community as well.  Additional
thanks to Barbara Eckman, Scott Robertson, Craig Bennett, Virinder
Batra, and all of the other individuals that have contributed their time
and efforts in making these quality specifications.  Also, our thanks to
the countless folks who took time to provide ballot feedback on the
Service Functional Models, and those who contributed on teleconferences
and the list on these specifications.

The OMG RFP documents are publicly available on the OMG website at:

        EIS:  _http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?health/2006-12-01_

        RLUS:  _http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?health/2006-12-02_

In addition, we'll be getting those documents available from our Wiki.
Things are shaping up to be a very engaging and busy meeting in San
Diego in January.  I look forward to seeing you there.

- Ken

Ken Rubin
Chief Healthcare Architect
EDS Civilian Government & DoD Healthcare Portfolio
5109 Leesburg Pike, Suite 414
Falls Church, VA 22041
Tel:  +1-703-845-3277
Mobile:  +1-301-335-0534