Ignacio,

I like this post so much!

Just for fun, some fresh news about the French DMP (for Dossier Médical
Personnel: Personal Medical Record... you can already notice how old
fashioned is the "Medical" when everywhere else the big word is "Health").

Since Frenchies are more serious than everybody else, our collective
health system (sorry medical system) will be ready in July 2007 when
less skillful countries are planning it for 2010.

Since Frenchies are smarter than everybody else, it will also be the
less expensive because the government said that the budget was about 2
euros per record and per year. We really don't understand why other
countries are ready to spend much more, and we are very proud to have a
medical record for the price of a condom.

Some narrow minded people would rate this project with 4 ambulances,
since nothing exists 6 months before it starts, but since we have some
news about a recent "trial run" where 6 big consortia were involved
(with some small companies such as Siemens, Accenture, France Telecom,
Bull, Atos, Microsoft...).
To be fair, I must say that when these consortia applied, they thought
that a record would be worth 15 to 10 euros, and discovered later that
they "had a dream".

Here are the figures:

The target was to open 30 000 records from June to November. Actually 35
855 have been created, among which 30 412 were considered real.
Among these 30 412 real records, only 2 836 were considered "living
records" (9%)
The French DMP is just a document management system, and the 2 836
living record held an average content of 4 documents.

Among the 30 412 real records,  2 391 were accessed by the patient (7,8
%) and 322 wrote something (1 %)

70% of all records were created by hospitals.
2 526 health professionals and 92 care places were involved in this run.

One funny thing to tell is that a big consortium (Siemens, Bull, EDS)
who was active in 4 French regions was stopped because some Medical
Doctors, who also applied as patients, discovered that patient access
was secured by a login and password built the following way:

Login = 5 first letters of last name + 3 first letters of first name + 1
numerical digit to distinguish between people with similar 5+3 login
(for example, the login for Philippe Ameline would have been AMELIPHI1
or maybe AMELIPHI2

Password = Login (!!!!!)

As you can imagine, everybody could open anybody's else personal health
record (and then change the password just for fun).

For the French government, it was an evidence that this test was useful.
For some narrow minded people, it was an evidence that a multi-regional
test with real medical information and NO DESIGN AT ALL is a very stupid
thing.

As you see, as a "national wide disaster", this project is worth 4
ambulances... however, it would be a pity not to be allowed to fire
these ones ;-)

Regards,

Philippe