K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> Before you read further: this is an experimental package, definitely not
> ready for prime time.  Please play with it only to help get it working
> properly.
>
> FOIA VistA 20060923 Audita is a packaging of FOIA VistA SemiVivA
> 20060923 with Oralux 0.7 alpha (see http://oralux.org and
> http://lists.freearchive.org/pipermail/oralux/2006-May/001137.html)
> which in turn is a remastering of the Knoppix 4.02 Linux live CD
> (http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html).
>
> Oralux 0.7 boots up Linux that supposedly speaks the listener's choice
> of six languages - Brazilian Portuguese, English, French, German,
> Russian, Spanish.  I used the emacspeak interface with English for my
> testing.
>
> Oralux boots into an emacs session with emacspeak, and an emacs tutorial
> is available from that emacs session. To get a shell inside an emacs
> buffer, type Alt-X s h e l l ENTER or ESC x s h e l l ENTER.  Commands
> are typed at the shell.  I recommend changing the default directory of
> the shell to /home/knoppix by executing the command "cd ~".
>
> The use of FOIA VistA 20060923 Audita is basically the same as any VistA
> live CD, and requires a read-write file system to be mounted for the
> database.  Everything else runs off the CD ROM or of a RAM file system.
>
> The read-write file system for the database can be a Linux file system
> (e.g., ext3, jfs) or a Windows FAT file system, but not a Windows NTFS
> file system.  The file /etc/fstab (type "cat /etc/fstab" in a shell in
> emacs to list it; it can also be brought into an edit buffer) will give
> a list of partitions that Knoppix detected on boot-up.  A USB flash
> drive will have an entry in /etc/fstab such as "/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat
> noauto,users,exec 0 0" and a Linux file system on hard drive will have
> an entry such as "/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0".
>
> Mount the read-write storage with a command such as "mount /mnt/sda1"
> and create a directory within it called myVistA with a command such as
> "mkdir /mnt/sda1/myVistA".  Link to it from the knoppix home directory
> with a command such as "ln -s /mnt/sda1/myVistA /home/knoppix/".
>
> I have not reworked the "vista" script to avoid the use of Xdialog,
> which is not included in Oralux.  So, for now, please use the following
> commands to create the initial database (this assumes that you have
> changed directory to /home/knoppix and that myVistA is a symbolic link
> to the directory with read/write storage, e.g., /mnt/sda1/myVistA:
>
> 1. Create the directory structure: mkdir -p myVistA/{p,r,tmp}
> myVistA/gtm_V5.1-000/{g,o,p,r}
>
> 2. Install the database: gzip -d
> </usr/local/FOIAVistA20060923/g/mumps.dat.gz
>  >myVistA/gtm_V5.1-000/g/mumps.dat
>
> To run VistA, first set the appropriate terminal type for use inside an
> emacs buffer: export TERM=Eterm
> Then execute VistA: /usr/local/FOIAVistA/vista --run ~/myVistA
> [...]

Hi K.S. Bhasker,
I couldn't help wondering, having read the above, why you need to create
a database in the manner you describe?
IIRC the commands you mention such as "mount /mnt/sda1" relate to
earlier Knoppix versions than 4.02. The /mnt directory is mostly empty
in recent Knoppix versions and a USB flash drive will appear under the
/media directory.
Knoppix moved to the UnionFS system when version 3.8 was introduced.
"UnionFS transparently mounts a portion of the systems's RAM (/ramdisk)
on top of / (root of the knoppix CD filesystem). This enables the user
to do things that were practically impossible such as using apt-get to
update the apt DB and install software. And note that apt-get stores the
downloaded .deb archive files in /var/cache/apt/archive."
See
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17570
I haven't used Knoppix for a while, so I might be mistaken. Best of luck
with your project.
Regards,
Mark Preston