You have two very valid points.  Un-insureds could really use this as
a means of straight forward financial relief.  Your second point is
basically how would one make an entrance into the market?  The
software product as a whole would need to have a brand name.  This
brand name would now in theory bring varied savings between many
patient using these open methods.  This brand name could then be
marketed to Third Party Administrators(TPAs aka the companies that
actually pay the claims), as a 'pilot' cost management tool.  TPAs
taking part in this pilot would be exposed to a truly innovative piece
of the software being that the discount would be applied immediately
at the doctors office thus reporting immediately to the TPAs; giving a
significant edge in marketing the product because TPAs would receive
immediate turn around and have access to report & evaluate the pilot's
cost savings effectiveness.  Ultimately by first exposing this
software to un-insureds a certain amount of cost saving confidence
could be understood before actually entering the market place.  There
are many different strategies that can be used to bring this product
into the market.  To really get TPAs interested, it would be ideal to
have a way of communicating the required discount amounts with them.
Let's say a TPA will have to raise premiums 5% because of rising
healthcare provider costs for certain CPT codes in a certain region or
a certain provider group.  This could be entered into the open system
to counteract that trend yet not cause everyone to suffer. If that
certain provider system refuses then perhaps it would be better to go
to a provider who will negotiate this cost.