Hi Tim, thanks for your interest in investigating collaborating with
us.

--- In openhealth@yahoogroups.com, Tim Churches <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> NetEpi Analysis was designed to deal with the types of data and
analyses
> which you mention - for example, apart from supporting complex
> cross-tabs (with good support for proportions), basic contingency
table
> analysis and standard statistical charts (again with confidence
limits),
> it also does direct and indirectly age-standardised population-
based
> rates (with confidence intervals), and we hope to shortly add
support
> for log-linear (Poisson and negative-binomial) models for
counts/rates,
> as well as possibly Bayesian smoothing of rates. And it works
quickly
> enough for interactive, real-time analysis even with many millions
of
> records, and the underlying architecture deals well with the sort
of
> multi-level data you describe eg it supports multi-valued records.
And
> it has full support for missing data handling. Oh, and it also does
> Google-style indexed searching or free text fields. However, a
major
> downside is that it only accepts batch loads of data at the moment,
> without incremental updates (although many data sources can be
loaded
> into one dataset, but they all have to be loaded in one go). That's
> something we also plan to fix as soon as possible, but unless you
have
> many tens millions of records , periodic batch loading works OK
(and is
> simpler to set up and maintain than incremental updates, which can
be
> surprisingly tricky and fragile). But it does support dataset
> versioning, so that the latest version of source data can be
loaded into
> a new dataset in the background while users continue to use an
existing
> dataset, and when the new load has completely it is transparently
used
> for all new analysis sessions. Of course, there are still plenty of
> rough edges and gaps, but it might be a good start, or a partial
> solution.

Thanks for this overview.  There are so many layers to this whole
data analysis aspect of medical record repositories.  Thinking from
left to right, there's the whole set of challenges around
converting "stacked" database models (where there's one row per
clinical observation) to the typical "flat" models, where the
columns of a table are the observations, and each row is some higher
level of measurement (ie, encounter, patient, etc).  We're working
quite hard on tools to go from our stacked OpenMRS data repository
to flat data exports for analysis purposes.  To generate the rows,
we're developing a cohort builder which allows users to
interactively look at patient/encounter counts for given clinical
measurements, and in an OVID style, provide an interface to and/or
them together to arrive at your final cohort.  If you'd like to see
this in a demonstration, let me know and I can pass some
instructions.  To generate the columns, we're developing a tool to
select the observations of interest, and apply aggregations and/or
rules to them (IE, last 4 hemoglobins where they occured in the past
year).

Once you have the data exported, there's the whole issue of what
interfaces do you support to various analysis software packages.  I
think the OpenMRS group is fully in support of letting a thousand
flowers bloom.  As we @ Regenstrief are directly serving a large set
of clinical sites in Western Kenya, we have to have a solution for
our own backyard, and so the one we're investigating at this point
is BIRT.  That being said, we'd love to have a variety of choices,
and perhaps NetEpi Analysis could be another one.  We'd gladly
advertise and document ways in which these softwares could work
together.

>Fairly easy to write hard-coded interfaces to OpenMRS, I
> suspect, either in PHP or Python or both, although a generic
interface
> would be harder, but possible - maybe a few weeks work. It can
certainly
> load data directly from a database back-end, although some queries
> flatten the data appropriately might be needed. Further processing
and
> data transformation can be done in Python as the data are loaded.

Tim, perhaps I don't understand the scope of your software, but does
NetEpi analysis generate OLAP cubes or views on the fly as well as
provide the interface for report generation?

Oh,
> you can use it via the Web front-end, no programming, or via its
own
> Python API, which is simple enough for interactive command-line
analysis
> as well as for calling from other things.

I'd like to sick Justin Miranda, the developer currently leading up
our reporting efforts, on top of what your team has done.  Would you
mind me passing some contact information along to him?

> Yes. Actually, we don't support messaging in NetEpi, yet, but no
reason
> why it can't. No, that's wrong, one of our application, for real-
time
> ED-based public health surveillance, does use HL7 messaging and
the data
> is fed into NetEpi Analysis. We do have some very insistent calls
for
> interoperabilty, but they are for interoperabilty with paper-based
data
> collection forms: people want to be able to scan in and optical
mark
> read or OCR hand-written paper forms. I think OpenMRS uses
SharePoint or
> perhaps Adobe Acrobat forms for this? Do they support scanning?

It's interesting that you bring this up.  Prior to my work on
OpenMRS, I led up an effort to build a decision support system, that
actually uses paper as it's transaction device.  We built a system
with Arden Syntax as it's rule base, and integrated that framework
with Cardiff Teleforms to generate what I call "Adaptive Turnaround
Documents".  The system that implements this technology is called
CHICA (Child Health Improvement through Computer Automation).  It
just so happens that b/c I lead up technical development of both
these projects, I'm in a good position to merge them together.  So
in fact, we're actively working on merging the work we've done on
CHICA to live on top of OpenMRS.  Stay tuned, likely within the next
12 or so months, we'll have full Adaptive Turnaround Document
technology on top of OpenMRS.  Once again, I'm happy to share more
information with you if you'd like (I've written multiple papers on
OCR technology for AMIA symposiums in the past).  My guess is that
there will be a lot of interest in such a feature set within the
developing world as well.

That's
> what our users want. Naturally we are not very enthusiastic about
> providing such facilities, not the least because there are few open
> source optical character recognition packages which can be readily
used
> (yes, IBM released one a while ago, but it takes a lot to use it),
and
> also, form scanning just doesn't work as well in practice as people
> think it should, I've found in the past. Perhaps it works better
these days.

Hah.  Well, I'd challenge anyone to find a more fully featured suite
than Teleforms.  It's relatively expensive, but we've worked really
hard at compartmentalizing what we "expect" of Teleforms, such that
if an open source competitor came along that provided similar
functionalities, that we could easily make that switch.  Once again,
let a thousand flowers bloom.  No reason why OpenMRS couldn't have a
Teleforms module and the "super FOSS OCR" module when that becomes
available. :)

Best,
-Paul