VOE like VistA has always had lab interfacing capability....the VA uses
Labcorp and I think Quest....but out of the box interfacing requires
investing the time and money to make it work and the Beta process left
that up to the sites and their vendors to accomplish. The beta test
process followed a very "laissez faire" model and it was up to
vendor/client to negotiate and fund what was configured or
integrated.... unfortunately expectations in some case were not set
accurately... and as a consequence we did lose a couple of sites.

Having said that....we recognized the challenges of using "vanilla"
VistA lab interfacing to satisfy CCHIT certification and in  meeting the
needs of the target market for VOE....so in parallel to the Beta testing
a more generic approach was developed for interfacing using the Mirth
integration engine. This enhancement will be part of VOE and is going
through final quality assurance.

Joseph