On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 06:04 -0700, Nandalal Gunaratne wrote:
> We must not forget the end user who can contribute
> ideas, report bugs and thus feels closer to the
> developer and has a sense of belonging to a community
> - "our software".
>
> Nandalal

You are correct in that the end users are a key part of success.
However, that issue exists irregardless of the economic model.

What you are addressing is more the development process. This exists in
any economic model (AFAIK). In most instances there is a need for a
larger vested interest than just belonging to a community. This is
especially true when your customers are busy physicians and haven't the
immediate time or in some cases knowledge to consider the long term
consequences of their technology choices.

This is a great lead in to my upcoming talk at OSHCA2007:
"Resolving The Blame Game: A look at physician acceptance of information
technology."

Regards,
Tim

--