Dear all,

It has been a long wait, but we completed Release 1.0.1 of the openEHR
specifications over the weekend. Quoting from the home page:

openEHR RELEASE 1.0.1
published 15 April 2007
The result of 14 months' review, implementation and testing, this
release is a major milestone, correcting and improving the openEHR
Release 1.x platform. We believe Release 1.0.1 to be a stable base for
ongoing implementation and forthcoming specifications, including the
Template Model, EHR Extract, Security, Archetype Query Language, CEN
EN13606 integration and services (in cooperation with the HL7/OMG HSSP
project). It also provides a foundation for tools and systems for the
development and governance of clinical models, including openEHR
archetypes, templates and terminology subsets.

Together this forms the "openEHR Health Computing Platform", as shown on
the diagram on the openEHR home page. Please see the links on the home
page for the release notes, specifications, online UML and XML-schemas
corresponding to this release.

As Chairman of the Architecture Review Board of the Foundation, I would
like to acknowledge my fellow members and all the people who have
contributed to the ongoing development and refinement of the
specifications, including their implementation in formalisms such as
XML-schema, and various programming languages - see the project team page -
http://svn.openehr.org/specification/TAGS/Release-1.0.1/project_team.htm.

The future will be exciting. Over the coming months, further pieces of
the health computing platform will fall into place, including (as
mentioned above):
    * the Template Object Model - a standardised object model of
        openEHR templates, along with a dADL and XML syntax
        specification;
    * the openEHR EHR Extract specification - a model of Extracts  for
        use with openEHR and other systems;
    * a security model based on CEN EN13606 part 4;
    * a query language for archetyped data (provisionally called 'AQL');
    * standardised service and programming interfaces for the EHR and
        related services, including the "virtual EHR", EHR service,
        demographic service, archetype service and others.
An important part of the work ahead is the integration of openEHR with
de jure standards, including CEN EN13606, the HL7/OMG Services work, HL7
CDA, and SNOMED-CT.

A final note on the identifier of the latest release - "1.0.1". This
release contains 51 Change Requests, and as software people will know,
no-one creates a 'minor' release with so many CRs. However,
semantically it fulfills its purpose: correction of errors and improved
textual explanations. As intended in the two-level modelling methodology
of openEHR, the changes to the core platform specifications will be kept
to an absolute minimum over the coming years; further releases will
mainly be about additions rather than changes. Implementers will have a
direct say in all future change proposals.

We hope this release and the growing openEHR Health Computing Platform
will prove useful to those in the open source health software community.

--
*Thomas Beale*
/Chief Technology Officer/ Ocean Informatics

Chair Architectural Review Board, /open/EHR Foundation
<http://www.openEHR.org>
Honorary Research Fellow, University College London
<http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk>