If you have FOSS that is protected by a patent, the license is
important.  If I were a user, I wouldn't touch the software unless it
was released under either GPL v3 or Affero GPL v3.

In general, I am turned off by software patents.  I say this as someone
who was awarded one of the early patents in the US where software was
even permitted to be a component of the patent (filed circa 1981) and
another which was one of the early pure software patents (filed circa
1986), but who has now come to view software patents as a social evil
that must be lived with, along the lines of breathing second hand smoke
when entering or exiting buildings, or finding banana peels or
pre-chewed gum in airplane seat pockets.

-- Bhaskar

On 05/06/2008 04:46 PM, Stephen Beller wrote:

> Yes, I do realize patents are a problem for open source. We received
> our software method patent in 1998 and have it in the US and two
> other countries. Anyone interested can read about it at
> http://cpsplit.typepad.com/
>
> Anyway, there's nothing to prevent us,however, from licensing our
> patented software method royalty free for use with our Personal
> Health Profiler. So, I don't see this as a deal-breaker, but it does
> complicate matters.
>
> I'm willing to discuss the details openly in this forum if people
> here can offer sound advice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

______________

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential.
If you are not the
intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not
disclose,
distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender
immediately. In addition,
please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to
archiving and review by
persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.