Libor Michalek wrote:
On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:14:18PM -0800, Sean Hefty wrote:

One final note, I'm hoping that a more abstracted CM could be layered on top of this one, if it were desired. E.g. one that performs QP transitions, automatically generates MRAs, retries requests, etc.

  Are you suggesting that this proposed CM layer would not be responsible
for retries and timeouts? I'm not sure how useful that would be, seems
like every CM consumer would need/want these capabilities.

I was trying to match the existing MAD API. The CM would perform timeouts, but not retries. Consumers could retry request immediately upon notification of a timeout. This lets the client change the timeout value. (I'm negotiable on this, but the cost of having clients initiate retries is basically one function call.)

I have given some thought to how retries should work. I've thought about adding a new call, ib_retry_cm_send() - or something like that, that resends the last message sent. Or the callback could indicate to retry.

- Sean