Below are my meeting notes:

Porting DAPL to OpenIB
======================
Meeting Notes
Date: 2/28/2005
Time: 11:30 AM EST

Attendees:
James Lentini [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dror Goldenberg [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Itamar Rabenstein [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Arkady Kanevsky [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hal Rosenstock [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Aviram Gutman [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Arlin Davis [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tom Duffy [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yaron Haviv [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Or Gerlitz [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Steve Sears [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bob Woodruff [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tom Talpey [EMAIL PROTECTED]

+ Enumerate Tasks:
  - uDAPL
    who: Arlin Davis at Intel

    No additional volunteers.

    We agreed to keep SourceForge structure (provider and platform
    abstraction layers) for uDAPL. Openib user space software lacks
    a CM and name resolution APIs. uDAPL will need to work around
    these deficiencies (by hard coding connections, etc.) at first.

    uDAPL will require kernel support for mapping the cookies used
    by shared registrations.

  - kDAPL
    who: Itamar Rabenstein at Mellanox
         Hal Rosenstock at Voltaire

   Initially we will work with current verbs abstraction layer. Once
   OpenIB support is functional and stable, we will begin removing
   the verbs and platform abstraction layers.

   MTHCA does not support all of DAPL required features (memory
   windows, virtual memory registration, etc.). When will these
   be supported?

   [AI] James Lentini: inquire about above

  - name resolution interface
    who: ?

    The kernel APIs are evolving. User will be done second.

  - Linux coding style
    who: everyone

    Documentation is in every linux kernel in
    "Documentation/CodingStyle" and "Documentation/SubmittingPatches"
    Tom Duffy gave James Lentini an overview of the types of changes
    at the OpenIB workshop. No apparent interest in making a single
    individual responsible for this. We expect to receive feedback
    from the community once code is in OpenIB tree.

  - kDAPL API changes for Linux coding style
    who: James Lentini and Arkady Kanevsky at NetApp

    First step is changing header files. We would like to keep
    old code from breaking while updates are being made. One option is
    to use a temporary set of typedefs while the headers are in flux.

    [AI] James Lentini: send Tom Duffy's patches to attendees

  - tools (dapltest, dat conformance test, etc.)
    who: volunteers?

    DAT Conformance test needs recode. No volunteers to do this work.

  - documentation (user guide, design guides, etc.)
    who: volunteers? everyone?

    We only touched on this briefly as time was running out. James
    would like written record of design decisions for posterity.

+ Appropriate location for DAPL source code in OpenIB tree.
  Split kernel and user space code? Split registry and provider?

  Do we want to split kernel and user space code? Majority are in
  favor of split. License issues are simpler (i.e. if the OpenIB
  community ever wanted to add the LGPL for user components this would be
  feasible). Intel's experience with past Linux projects suggest that
  this is the correct decision. Keeping them together would mean lots
  of kernel changes affect user code.

  We will keep the registry code in the same general location as the
  provider code. If other RDMA transports pop up, we will adjust this.

  Initially, we will put DAPL code on a branch and move to mainline
  when it is ready. Initial OpenIB checkin will be based on the soon
  to be created DAPL Gamma 3.1 drop (this drop will be Gamma 3.0 +
  a few fixes + GPL option).

  [AI] James Lentini: create tar of current CVS and send to Tom,
       Arlin, Itamar, and Hal. They will get started with this while
       Gamma 3.1 is being prepared.

+ Procedure for checkins

Use the same procedure for other parts of the OpenIB tree. Submitter
will send an email containing patch to openib-general@openib.org and cc'ing James Lenitni ([EMAIL PROTECTED]). Submitter should indicate that it is for dapl by placing the text "[DAPL]" in the subject.

NOTE: We didn't discuss this on the phone, but checkins should also
have a "signed-off by" line (in accordance with OpenIB practices).

+ SourceForge synchronization

Proposal would be to have patches sent to both OpenIB and SourceForge.
The files in OpenIB will have 2 licenses and the SourceForge will have 3 licenses.

Little enthusiasm for this on the phone. Two counter proposals
made:

1) submit code with CPL license 2) re-license code with CPL

[AI] Tom Duffy: At the next OpenIB board meeting, ask if it is a
violation of OpenIB bylaws to have dapl files licensed under
a third license (CPL)? [AI] James Lentini: try to attend board meeting to answer questions.
[AI] James Lentini: investigate option #2 with lawyers. Note: early
indications are that this is not feasible.