------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:00:37 -0700
From: Roland Dreier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [openib-general] IP addressing on InfiniBand networks
To: Caitlin Bestler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Lentini, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christoph Hellwig
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,      openib-general <openib-general@openib.org>

   Caitlin> An assigned GID meets all of the requirements for an IA
   Caitlin> Address.  I think taking advantage of that existing
   Caitlin> capability is just one of many options that can be done
   Caitlin> by the IB CM rather than forcing IB specific changes up
   Caitlin> to the application layer.

Just to be clear, the IBA spec is very clear that a GID _is_ an IPv6 address.

- R.

Just to be REALLY clear - IANA has not allocated IPv6 address space to any Infiniband entities - so they are not Internet IPv6 addresses. GIDs are formatted like IPv6 addresses but in no sense should EVER be used at an IP layer 3 address.

From an IPoIB stance - IB is just a very over engineered Layer 2 that has a singularly large MAC address.

From an IB ULP point of view - how you get to the layer 2 address that is needed to perform communications that do not include IP, it isn't a problem - but let me tell you.... The leadership of the IETF is scared of IB because of saying things IB GIDs _ARE_ IPv6 addresses.

Bill