Hal Rosenstock wrote:
On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 17:11, Eitan Zahavi wrote:

Hal Rosenstock wrote:

Currently, OpenSM does not support an interactive console. There has
been a desire to introduce the ability to change certain parameters

(as

well as display things) once OpenSM has started. This patch

introduces

the first most basic commands: help and loglevel. I am investgating
adding smpriority to this. The console is invoked by specifying

-console

as an option on the opensm command line.

If you have a request for a command you would like in the console, I
would like to compile a list of these.
Comments ?

OpenSM gen1 has a nice TCL API (named osmsh) that lets you do all that

and much more.
Setting ALL options is supported.
It also provides a Tcl access to the SM Database so you can write your

own
reports on FDB/MC-FDB etc.
Interactive control on the discovery and fabric settings sequence

allows
"single stepping" too.

IMO osmsh is more a debugger's tool. It relies on OpenSM globals and
internal SM data structures rather than well defined APIs which might
isolate the user from changes. (It exposes the internals of the SM and
SM modifications may cause scripts using osmsh) to stop working, and
worse than that, osmsh scripts may cause serious SM bugs.
What is unsafe in running the following basic code?
osm_opts configure -log_file $log_file_name.
osm_init
osm_bind $guid
osm_sweep
osm_set_verbosity 0xffff

I think there is a place for a "safer" console. Perhaps there are levels
of access privileges where some can do RO things and others have RW
access.
How would this privilege right be granted?

The OpenSM user manual provides extensive description of it, including some programming examples.

What OpenSM documentation ? I didn't see any with the 1.8.0 release.
It is in the 1.7.1 1.7.0 manuals too.

Porting of osmsh to gen2 should be very simple.

Is someone working on doing this ?
No - but if needed we can do that.

I do not see why we need to invent yet another way to do these things.
Instead I would recommend including osm Tcl extension in the gen2

trunk
and put it to work.

-- Hal