Michael Krause wrote:

RDMA Write with Immediate is part of the IB Extended Transport Header. It is a fixed-sized quantity and not one subject to change, i.e. increasing its size.

Your argument above reinforces that the particular application need is IB-specific and thus should not be part of a general API but a transport-specific API. If the application will only operate optimally using immediate data, then it is only suitable for an IB fabric. This reinforces the need for a transport-specific API.

I agree. I will move the IB immediate data service back into the extension interface and update the OpenIB uDAPL provider patch.

Those applications that simply want to enable completion notification when a RDMA Write has occurred can use a general purpose API that is interconnect independent and whose code is predicated upon a RDMA Write - Send set of operations. This will enable application portability across all interconnect types.

I will defer this to Arkady to draft.

-arlin