On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:50:18PM -0800, Matt Leininger wrote:

> I have the ipath driver up, running, and working with IPoIB.  I'm using
> 2.6.16 with svn 5938.  The ipath_ether comes up as eth2.  I can set the
> netmask and broadcast, but when I try to set the ip address for this
> device I get the following error:

Matt,

ipath_ether uses InfiniBand protocols but is not the same as IPoIB. So
it's better to ask [EMAIL PROTECTED] about it. (The reason we ship
it at all is that it's faster than IPoIB -- this necessitates a
different wire format -- and it behaves more like an ethernet device
than IPoIB.)

My guess is that you're trying to use it with ib_mad (the in-kernel
SMA).  Do you see anything in /var/log/messages like "ipath_ether_open
timed out waiting for MLID"? The relevant entry in RELEASE-NOTES.txt
under the KNOWN LIMITATIONS section is:

   * IPoIB and ipath_ether do not work together, as ipath_ether requires
     the InfiniPath SMA, which needs to be disabled to use OpenIB.  This
     will be fixed in a future release.

Apologies for this not being more obvious.

-- greg