On 05/02/2011 11:28, Basil Kurian wrote: > Here we are running backup servers only during business hours (web > development firm). At the end of day , Sometimes the servers are powered > off , without issuing any commands to shutdown them cleanly. > > On 5 February 2011 16:45, Matt Wilby <[email protected]> wrote: > >> On 05/02/2011 10:53, Basil Kurian wrote: >>> Hi all >>> >>> >>> Currently in our company we are having a Dragonfly BSD backup server with >>> Hammer filesystem in it. One senior system administrator in our compay >> chose >>> Hammer filesystem some times back, because Hammer filesystem can easily >>> recover in times of power failures. I 'm compelling him to move to ZFS >> (on >>> FreeBSD or OpenIndiana). How durable is data on an ZFS pool (RAID or >> mirror) >>> when power failure happen frequently. >>> >> Hi, >> >> I use ZFS on my backup servers. I can't say we've ever had power >> failures because they're in a datacenter, but I would invest in a decent >> UPS if it's a regular occurrence. Hard drives don't generally like >> having power suddenly removed..... >> >> ZFS on OpenIndiana will give you nice features like file system >> compression, dedupe, snapshots and constant checksumming of of in-use >> blocks. >> >> I've never used Hammer before, but HammerFS doesn't appear to offer >> compression yet. >> >> Just my opinion, but I'd say ZFS is more widely used than Hammer. >> >> Matt >> >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> OpenIndiana-discuss mailing list >> [email protected] >> http://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss >> > >
I don't understand why you would ever want to shut a server down in this way. Can't you just setup a cron to shut them down at a certain time? _______________________________________________ OpenIndiana-discuss mailing list [email protected] http://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss
