I noted when I volunteered to help with a port recently that OpenIndia is
moving from Oracle's compilers to gcc 3.x. (gcc 3.x inferred from the required
software list given here:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-build.) While I think that I
understand why moving away from Oracle is a good idea, I would like to know why
a dead compiler, gcc 3.x, was chosen over gcc 4.x  or Clang. I don’t remember
seeing this discussed anywhere, but since I don’t hang out in IRCs I may have
missed it. Is there an archive or rationale that someone could point me to?

My personal choice would be Clang, given that it has Apple's complete weight
behind it.

Phil