On 17/11/2011 3:40 a.m., Harry Putnam wrote:
Mark<mark0...@gmail.com>  writes:

[...] Thanks for the very complete instructions.

No problem Harry, glad to help.

   On my linux distro [debian wheezy] I see this in /etc/idmapd.conf

   # set your own domain here, if id differs from FQDN minus hostname
   # Domain = localdomain

On Centos I set this to the fqdn, but both ends must match.
You may also need /etc/hosts entries for the other server.

And since `hostname -f (-f means show fqdn) shows my full
hostname.local.domain  I guess that can stay commented.

nfs3 does not require the domain settings.
I use both nfs3 and nfs4, but GID/UID issues and ACLS can be tricky,
especially if you run cifs on the same file system as I do.

So are you saying that even with the settings you posted... you still
have trouble with windows boxes over of cifs?  Or do you mean your
posted settings will avoid that happenstance?

The issues are mainly around ACL's, but in my case the files rsync through multiple servers before landing, and most don't support ACL's.

I'm trying just to run nfs4 so maybe it will not effect me.
nfs4 understands ACL's, but nfs3 doesn't.

Oh, and what chmod cmd do you use on any shares to be shared with
windows platforms?  In the past, for cifs, I've used:

    chmod -R A=everyone@:full_set:fd:allow

When security isn't an issue, then this will be easier.
Files created from windows will probably end up showing different ACL's as Windows uses different defaults, and nfs3 and 4 also will produce different results, since one knows ACL's and one doesn't.
I just run a cron job to bash them back into what I want.

I'd go with a simple approach that works for you.

I haven't seen any major performance difference between cifs and nfs.

Mark.