I remember the good old days of using XDMCP. It worked really well when connecting to SUN workstations from a Windows computer. I tried to set up XDMCP on my system not too long ago but without luck. I think I managed to get windows from individual programs to open on my client at best (which looked really ugly) and I find the the xming software to be a pain to work with.

I know that KVM also uses a protocol called Spice. I don't know much about it but I believe that it is intended to be able to also deliver 3D acceleration to the client. I think it is through the VirtualGL (www.virtualgl.org) and Gallium3D interfaces...

I see that I messed up my last post a bit. The name of the package with the vnc server is SUNWxvnc.

On 2012-02-24 11:40, Jonathan Adams wrote:
VNC will work fine for you, the RDP server for Linux/Unix is actually
a wrapper around VNC server to create desktops ...

If you want lots of remote connections then a really good solution
would be to look at running SunRays, or at least the SunRay software.

Although I never used the FreeNX in anger, it might be a reasonable
compromise.  I was looking at it as a way of allowing a common
graphical interface (with access to our locally held quality system)
for our Linux laptops, but I was really surprised by how well it
worked, it uses XDMCP.

Jon