Hi All,

I guess I'm a "newbie" although I've been using various Linux distro's for
about 10 years.

I recently installed OI 151a on my old laptop (Dell e6400) and now I have a few
questions about installing software.

Firstly, I wanted to have a later version of Firefox installed, and I did this
by downloading 11.0 from
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/latest/contrib/solaris_pkgadd/.  Is
that the best way to upgrade?  Is 3.6.12 the most recent in the "official" repo?

Similarly I wanted a jdk installed.  I went to the Oracle download site, but
the download for x64 is only 9.25MB.  This doesn't seem right to me.  How do
you install JDK7 on OI?

In the meantime I installed jdk 1.6 using the command  pfexec pkg install jdk.

Next, I'd like to install Eclipse.  pkg search eclipse isn't showing me
anything useful, and I can't find any solaris builds at eclipse.org.  Do they
not exist, or am I looking in the wrong place?

I come from a Red Hat / Fedora background and I'm very used to installing most
software using yum.  Is pkg comparable to this?  Or is the OI way more to
download software individually and install it by hand?

Many thanks in advance,
Andrew.