On Sun, 6 May 2012, Ignacio Marambio Catán wrote:

There is one other option. Use ssh public key authentication to bypass
the whole PAM/role nonsense and restrict what the user can do with the
command option. See sshd(8) in its AUTHORIZED_KEYS FILE FORMAT section

That is what I do. For even more security, the key triggers running a script which runs rsync in server mode over ssh using a rsync.conf configuration file specific to this purpose. If someone was to gain access to the key, they could still only read data enabled to be read using the key.

I have been backing up multiple types of hosts with this strategy for four years now without a problem.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn