On 08/09/12 07:59, James Carlson wrote:
Jim Klimov wrote:
   I wondered if the Sun DHCP server, also provided in OI, supports
synchronization of instances - i.e. two boxes providing addresses
for the same range, "should" support interchange of leased address
lists, defined macros (dhcptab) and so on.

Yes.  The simplest answer is to use the SUNWfiles backend (see
dhcp_modules(5)), and share the files via NFS between servers.  The more
complex (but much more scalable) way is via NIS+ (on Solaris 10, but not
OpenIndiana; NIS+ is dead).  Amusingly, the man page still talks about
"three" built-in mechanisms but then describes only two.

Good to see you're still better at noticing details than most anyone I know :-)

You can also write your own backend to do anything you want; see the
"Solaris DHCP Service Developer's Guide:"

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/806-6829/806-6829.pdf

That would be my suggestion, too.

   Perhaps a shared LDAP backend can be implemented?

I'm sure that could be done as well.  I don't recall if it was ever
done, but I would have expected that it would have been an ARC-required
portion of the NIS+ to LDAP transition strategy.  I'd expect that Dave
Miner at Oracle would know for sure if anyone does.

No, we never got around to building one; I seem to recall we'd started a prototype back in the late '90's but it never got to be a priority.

Dave