On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM, James Relph <ja...@themacplace.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> That's interesting, although it'll give me a headache trying to work out
> which method would be best (definitely pluses and minuses to the built-in
> method, and to SAMBA).  The ephemeral mappings are the bit that is somewhat
> confusing.  From what I've been reading, it sounded like what it does is to
> actually store the SID on-disk and convert that on the fly to an ephemeral
> UID.  That might mean that the non-persistence of the ephemeral IDs across
> reboots doesn't matter (as the SID itself is still stored), but it's hard
> working out from the documentation exactly what's going on.
>
> James.

Yes, ephemeral IDs are temporary representations of Security
Identifiers (SIDs).  The idmapd(1m) daemon maintains these in a cache,
with time-to-live (TTL) based expiration.  There's a library API for
turning an ephemeral ID back into a SID - see: idmap_get_sidbyuid
http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/illumos-gate/usr/src/lib/libidmap/common/idmap_api.c

--
Gordon Ross <g...@nexenta.com>
Nexenta Systems, Inc.  www.nexenta.com