On 11/19/12 18:01, Paul B. Henson wrote:
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 04:24:51PM +1300, Ian Collins wrote:

I was looking at the box upside down, it's a 9211-8i....
Ah, ;), that's more easily found, about $230-$250 it seems, cool.

the 313 has a supercapacitor to flush the write cache on unexpected
power failure.
They don't unfortunately.
Bummer :(, it would be nice to get one that does. I think the 320 series
does, the 40G is only $90, but I think it has relatively crappy write
performance and high write latency, so wouldn't be a very good zil. The
313 looks like it has pretty good performance, and not too pricy at $135
for 24G, which is plenty big for a zil.

The 20G part has better write throughput. Unfortunately no one in my neck of the woods has any stock...

  The box is going to have dual
power supplies on UPS's, and I plan to set it up for auto shutdown on
power loss, so it's not *too* likely the slog is going to unexpectedly
lose power while processing writes. I guess when you're on a budget you
can't have everything<sigh>, I might need to settle for a non-powerfail
protected ssd for zil...

It looks like suppliers like Intel are targeting the desktop SSD/spinning rust hybrid market with SLC devices. The mSATA versions are much more plentiful.

--
Ian.