On 01/25/2013 03:11 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
>> From: Christopher Chan [mailto:christopher.c...@bradbury.edu.hk]
>>
>> :-D I'm here to entertain since I have not been able to spring for a ssd
>> for use as a slog. :-D
>
> LOL, you mean you have a HDD slog device?   :-D
> It's actually very surprising how well that works, especially if you have a
> high rpm drive.  Because most of the wasted access time in a HDD is waiting
> for head seek time.  Usually, the rotational latency is like 1ms or so, so
> it's irrelevant compared to the head seek, but if you do a good job of
> eliminating the head seek time, then the rotational latency becomes
> completely relevant, or even dominant.  If your drive is used only for slog,
> guess what ...  ZFS does a pretty good job of keeping the ZIL clustered
> together in tightly grouped tracks, so you've done a pretty good job of
> eliminating the seek.    ;-)
>
> If you let the ZIL sit on main pool, it will both be adversely affected by
> other reads and writes ...  And it will also adversely affect other reads and
> writes, mutually.  And it's more multiplicative rather than additive.
> Because you now have large random seek times, and cache flushes, so all your
> IO optimization techniques get messed up.

Agreed, short-stroking a 15k HDD to something like 1/100th of its
capacity actually gives you really good transactional throughput.
Considering a 15k 300GB SAS drive is comparatively cheap nowadays, this
gives you 3GB of slog (more than enough) at fairly low latency (1000
iops is achievable).

--
Saso