Jesus Cea wrote:
On 28/01/13 02:43, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Jesus Cea wrote:
Is out there an OpenIndiana Roadmap?. In particular, I am VERY
interested in a security supported version.
How much are you willing to pay for this service?

Oracle charges $1k/year per socket.
I would actually pay something.

But consider this:

* I can't deploy OpenIndiana without some kind of security updates.

* I have tons of clients evaluating OpenIndiana, being amazed by ZFS
and DTrace, but can't consider seriously since there is no security plan.

An OpenIndiana future goes thru an official OI release, with security
fixes for a while. Those markets are, currently, closed for OI.

About how costly this could be, Red Hat is a huge business. And we
could follow a major Linux release, like Debian or Ubuntu, to track
security notifications/patches. Maybe even a community security
supported version.

The popular Linux distributions all have a commercial backer, OI does not. It's as simple as that.

There are other Illumos based distributions that do have a commercial backer, maybe you would be better off with one of those?

It's a reflection of commercial reality that those distributions focus on specific market segments. It would be nice to have a backed general purpose OS to rival Solaris, but the demand doesn't seem to be there.

--
Ian.