I started on a newly installed pure OI151a7.

#I first added a few lines to /etc/gdm/custom.conf on the host where I want to login
pfexec vi /etc/gdm/custom.conf
#These lines, namely
[security]
DisallowTCP=false
AllowRoot=true
AllowRemoteRoot=true

[xdmcp]
Enable=true
#Right..----------
#then I did

pfexec svcadm enable xvnc-inetd
pfexec svcadm restart gdm

#and finally

pfexec ck-seat-tool -a --session-type=LoginWindow --display-type=LocalVNC

#a couple of times (8, I think), and then

vncviewer IP-addr-of-above-host

#on another host (notably a Ubuntustudio 12.10)

Please note, I did the same on another machine, that already has SunRays installed, and there it failed... Hmm. I need to check on what SunRay utinstall actually does to a system. Also, I have absolutely no idea where ck-seat-tool leaves its doings... If anyone can show me where config data entered thru ck-seat-tool ends up...

A: What's the version of your system?
B: Check the properties of the xvnc-inetd service: svccfg; select xvnc-inetd; listprop
See that it doesn't run in wait mode and that security-type=none

vncpasswd, properties in xvnc-inetd are both things that affect VNC requesting a password.