On 06/21/2013 11:56 AM, Peter Tribble wrote:
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Gary Gendel <g...@genashor.com> wrote:

I have a possibility of picking up a decommissioned X4340 (thumper)

Hm. An X4340 is some sort of power transfer unit.

Thumper = X4500

Thor = X4540

Whoops, it's the X4540

w/o disks

That's the killer. These boxes are very fussy about the drives that work;
the
real value of them now is for the disks they contain, you're going to have
trouble getting drives (and it's going to cost).
Interesting. I thought they used the same Marvell MV88SX6081 8-port controllers I picked up for the v20z. I've been using that for modern WD and Seagate SATA drives without issue.

to replace my aging V20z ( and multiple external drive stacks cheap.  It
looks like it should be supported by looking at the HCL.

Is there any gotchas I should be aware of before I commit to purchase?  Is
there something more modern I should be looking at instead?

Probably look at something more modern, and something sized to suit.
It really needs to be full of 48 drives, only a couple of models are
supported,
and they're all getting a bit old.
Just looking for something cheap and big enough for at least 8 drives. I currently have two 5-drive external cases. Since I haven't gotten the sata multiplexers to work, I have all 8 sata cables running out of the marvell controller directly to each drive, my own personal octopus. Can't get much more of a kludge than that.

Gary