On 13-07-11 01:47 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
On 2013-07-11 22:40, Geoff Nordli wrote:
Plus things like: File Server Remote VSS Protocol  (FSRVP) for
snapshots. Interesting in their wiki they actually name ZFS as an option.

I highly doubt that is going to find its way into the illumos cifs service.

I don't know the protocol by the name, but kCIFS does support access
from Windows to "Previous Versions" or "Shadow Copies" (via its GUI)
of shares on that OpenSolaris SXCE server, where as the said versions
it lists all the snapshots.

So unless you meant something else, I think it is there since the
beginning, or close to that :)

quick disclaimer, I am not a samba expert. I have just been following the features.

The FSRVP could initiate a snapshot from the windows machine. Right now the windows machine consumes snapshots via the previous versions from snapshots initiated on the zfs side.

By the way, one of the features that OpenSolaris team touted for kCIFS
was Windows-like RPC implementation, in particular to view and manage
SMF services as if you managed a remote Windows server. Does Samba
have anything to match that? ;)

No, but Samba 4 can look exactly like an AD domain controller, which can be managed from existing MS tools.

Geoff