I think I know what happened with the version of gcc I have. I vaguely remember one tool needing a pre-4 version of gcc to compile (just what the install doc said...) But when I installed it, it stomped over what I already had. (It was supposed to install elsewhere and I would call it explicitly.) Seems it tromped on the original anyway (hard links?). sigh

Rainer