On 12/26/2014 12:31, Nikola M. wrote:> Also I don't count as package available for OI if it is not made and
available for /dev .
That made me wondering : how newer packages without incorporations
restraints are expected to behave well on older unupdated
rolling-release installations..
Using newer packages on older non-updated rolling-release model
distribution, without prior testing, could lead to breakages in
compatibility and application behaviour.

Package requirements specify the versions which are required to install and use this package.

(and releasing changes in distribution must be done with testing of
distribution as a whole and is a base of _supportable_ product)
That leads to other questions : Why keep pushing OI Hipster as rolling
release, not planning to have stable release?

Because there's noone interested  in *making* stable OI release.

And also why planning to break binary compatibility (and thus even get
lower application count without applications made for Solaris 10) and
not having workaround for it in current distro?

If I understand it correctly we were the only illumos distribution which delivered Studio-compiled C++ libraries. Now we deliver only G++-compiled C++ libraries. Anyone interested in binary compatibility with Solaris 10 are advised to use Solaris 10 branded zones.
Nonetheless, breakage concerns only C++ applications.

Why not updating /dev instead ,and maintaining package dependencies via
upgrading incorporations?
Hipster started by updating from /dev.
Why then not continuing /dev and why disabling (e.g. not
caring/enabling) updating from /dev ?

I guess those are philosophical differences between having stable
distribution and rolling release forever.

1) IMHO, /dev is outdated and has a terrible build process. I think that if someone cares about /dev good starting point would be porting some applications (e.g. openjdk, updated PostgreSQL, Percona Server, nginx, what else...) from oi-userland to oi-build. But I don't care about /dev.

2) We have no power to create stable distribution, either based on /dev or /hipster. Period. If someone is interested in making /stable from /hipster, I'll help. But I'm not going to start doing it myself, as it's impossible for one man.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,