Jacob Ritorto wrote:
On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Andrew Gabriel <illu...@cucumber.demon.co.uk
wrote:

Do you have to stick with SPARC? Your Ultra 5 is going to be way slower
than any current (and many old) x86 systems, which are supported by all the
Illumos distributions.

I don't have to; it's just that I have a number of these good old machines
around and they're quite adequate for what I'm working on.  OpenBSD seems
to still support them, so maybe I'll give that a go.

Sure, but before spending much time on them, do bare in mind they are about same performance as a 15-20 year old Pentium II system.

You could probably move all their workloads to a single current x86 system, and have loads of CPU capacity left over, and consume less power than a single Ultra 5.