On 12/15/2015 5:37 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Nikola M <minik...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think that having your own mail server/domain these days it dirty cheap
and everyone should have one :D

It's cheap in terms of money but costs a LOT of time.

In a previous job I managed a mail server and I probably spent a third of
my working hours just dealing with tuning spam filters and trying to keep
the system usable and secure under the deluge of spam and abuse.

I also used to run my own home email server, but I found it ate way too
much of my free time; also, IMAP isn't really a good solution when you have
three or four different devices, and none of the open-source web UIs worked
well for me.
Strange, this is exactly why IMAP was created. I run my own mail server using spamdyke for SMTP and dovecot for IMAP. I have a dozen of mobile and desktop devices that read and send mail and don't have an issue. I have been running for many years without a single change to the configuration files. I used to have my own spam control software since I ran a SunOS server, once I discovered spamdyke I never looked back. Stellar spam control and always stable. The developer runs several cpu-days of regressions before releasing a new version.

Even the central IT department where I work has come to the same conclusion
-- they no longer run their own email servers, but contract out to Google
and Microsoft for it.