Aurélien Larcher писал 23.01.2016 21:20:
We are going to follow the path which was chosen by Oracle in
userland-gate.
Basic macroses are not touched. Compilers still produce 32-bit binaries by
default. 64-bit binaries are produced when necessary and delivered in
/usr/bin
if 32-bit binaries are not present. We'd like to avoid delivering 32-bit
binaries.

Hmm could we instead have binaries delivered in respective /usr/bin/$ARCH
and use isaexec ?
Or at least not mix 32 and 64 bits in /usr/bin ?
That's what I had in mind when I talked about modifying some macros...

Why not deliver amd64 bits in /usr/bin ? If we deliver them in /usr/bin/amd64, they are not in default PATH, and we have to use isaexec. I don't see good reason for this. We can deliver them in /usr/bin/amd64 and hardlinks
in /usr/bin, but I don't see benefits from doing this.

OmniOS and Dilos already doesn't claim to support 64-bit binaries. Dilos I
think is closer to us,
as it uses the same build system, AFAIK, it didn't have to do build system
modifications to
produce 64-bit binaries. So, what macroses do you mean?

Default paths for executables as defined for instance in configure.mk.

I don't think we have to touch them.

But should we call for finishing the migration of consolidations first ? Then we could at least tag oi-userland to a state where it can be used to
produce a working system.

If you set a deadline, the next snapshot could then be a proper milestone.
I generated all the Makefiles containing metadata for x11 so that even
someone not used to oi-userland could clone my x11 branch, copy the
Makefile modify it to pass the install target and generate a manifest: even
just passing prep would save time.

There are about 120 packages left, most of them easy, so it is really about
pushing for it (I know, easier said than done).
I prepared a quick start tutorial for oi-userland that can be used.

I'd be all for it. But I can't rush migrating x11 components, as I just don't have enough free time now. I'll think more about suggestion to move remaining x11/JDS components to oi-userland before this switch. I'm just afraid that this process can not be finished soon.

---