On Mon, 7 Nov 2016, Harry Putnam wrote:

I have another pair of matching mirrored disks with the main data, but
still plenty of room on that setup to send/receive the zfs fs I do
have on the rpool disk.

Then I could just leave those data discs out of the install,
incorporating them after.

I seem to remember there being some technique to do that.

Something you do prior to shutdown preceding a new install that allows
to retrieve them after...?

If you keep your data on different disks than the root pool, then just due 'zpool export' and then later 'zpool import'.

Thanks for asking this question. I am also thinking about update vs install.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn