On 20/01/2017 17:29, John D Groenveld wrote:
In message <ef13fe14548c4db7b157f87caa62b...@cnsh-dag1.issi.com>, Fred Liu writ
es:
Nexenta has to co-work with hardware OEMs for nexentastor is just software. As
long as I know, they rolled out they-called software-defined storage applianc
es with Dell, PogoLinux, Supermicro etc. I even installed nexentasor on generi
c x86 hardware(I forgot the detailed configurations..).
With a bit of work, I believe Gea's napp-it will run on top
of OI:
<URL:https://www.napp-it.org/downloads/openindiana_en.html>

Not sure if these are good-enough solutions compared to
low-volume, high-margin Oracle ZFS Storage appliances
and if not, what features are missing from OI/Nexenta/illumos.

This all depends what experience you have (Solaris, ZFS), and what level of support you need, High Availability or not, etc. Some of the solutions will hide it all behind a GUI, and at the other extreme, you can roll your own using the standard Solaris/Illumos commands. Some allow you to add specific software you might need (e.g. your own monitoring), some will turn a blind eye although not really allowing it, and others will not allow it at all. Again - depends what you need. If you need a storage server as opposed to a storage appliance, then you will probably need to roll your own.

The Oracle ZFS Storage did get nearer to realistic pricing a few years ago (and might still be - I'm out of touch with it now), but when I was working for one of the other ZFS openstorage companies, I never saw Oracle try to sell their ZFS Storage Appliance into any of the large opportunities which came up, even though it would have been ideal in many cases. I think the Storage folks there probably never understood it, and back when I was still in Solaris Sales, it was mainly us who sold it even though it was supposed to be the responsibility of Storage. There's been no Solaris Sales team for years, so probably no one has been much pushing it for a long time.

--

Andrew