On 01/28/17 03:19 PM, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss wrote:
Topic name (end) is more of an mantra then something. Who's end, what to
end? Basically nothing but reference to "media" bias that was
published
on news sites in previous days. (and we all know how sites and
publicists are click-loving)

Well I know that where is smoke, there is fire.

Yeah or someone is making the smoke, to attract main course showing up at dinner... :)

"end of the world" references are overwhelmingly culturally present to
put people into fear state.
OK but you have to admit that many things ended in the history of
computing.

And it is surely not Solaris, and not at all.

In a sense it was the official forum of solaris x86 users. In good old times,
I could received even 50 messages in a day. Now the list practically dead...

I was hoping to learn what mailing list you think on.
Some lists are intentionally squashed by their owners after receiving better offers. Etc.

I exactly do not expect Solaris going anyway but being solid solution
for the long-term support.

This will happen only if people are paying Oracle...

And they surely are paying. Big bucks for tens of years.

Anyway, OpenOffice was head over to the Apache
foundation and that is a good thing, yet 'rolling released' vs '
named versions' differences are also there.

They could not do otherwise and that is why they gave it away.
In fact, who would buy OpenOffice when LibreOffice could do the
same things and it was free! There was no profit for them. And

Sun used to sell StarOffice with support, even while having OpenOffice available for non-paying customers. It would be interesting to know if there is any revenue from LibreOffice support at all and who is getting payed for support, if any.

although they have "donated" to the "community", they cannot
modify the code so to replace the compiler for Solaris-like
systems to GCC and so it is impossible to compile it under any
Solaris-like system. Obviously, it does not compile under Solaris
either. Big donation!

I didn't know that, are you saying that Apache OpenOffice can be compiled only using SolarisStudio compiler, running on Linux, or something?