<https://sourceforge.net/projects/sdig/>

Assuming (please confirm) that this is what you are referencing?

Jerry

On 05/10/17 04:54 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:

As a data point, I often use SDig (switch digger), which is a mix of scripts from early
2000's to query ARP and similar tables over SNMP, allowing to find a path to that
offending IP or MAC address that you find in logs, emailed complaints, etc. so you can
pinpoint it to switch-port and so hardware/location (nowadays, often to the host of a
VM). Or to find "where does that VM/zone/... run from, so I can login to the host
and manage it?"

It may be a mediocre solution to absence of 100% coverage with asset
management, but in e.g. BYOD or end-user populace networks, you can't have that
anyway. So I'd say the tool is a useful one, when accompanied by some others in
a toolkit. It does not quite fit the OP requested profile with history for
postmortems etc... though thinking of it, you can just crontab a job to
directly request and save SNMP tables from switches into e.g. git ;)

Jim