On 28/08/2017 17:30, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss wrote:
Professionally speaking, don't use the Nvidia audio processor for any serious
work.Either use a good audio >processor on the motherboard or a dedicated sound
card/device (highly preferred).>I'm speaking mainly on the Nvidia audio processors
integrated on their graphic cards. You can use it for>Blu-Ray/DVD/Youtube/VLC
playback for basic use.
Thank you very much for this really important hint. As I said in my first
message I wanted to be able toreduce the number of cables on my desk. But now I
have discovered a more pragmatic reason: All new videocards do not have VGA
ports so most people have to use an HDMI cable. Now suppose I do not want to
usethe nVidia audio processor, how can I still use the onboard audio processor?
In my case, there is no sound when I use an HDMI cable. In different words,
HDMI means no sound. Question: Has anybody successfully usedHDMI and the
onboard audio? Maybe my hardware is completely problematic.

Just tried with my setup (oi151a9 with NVidia Quadro 2000 HDMI
to DELL U3017 Monitor, audio output to boxen) : The device is there
(/dev/sound/1), 'audioplay -v 100 -d /dev/sound/1 /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/goksound2.wav' works, but : absolute SILENCE .

No twiddling with the (only one) volume control for that device and
Monitor controls helps.

So I would conclude that this is currently not properly implemented.
Or are there missing options for a proper Xorg.conf that must be
enabled ?
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php