In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] VirtualBox broken after updating...:

I created a new BE during a pkg update this morning but found that VirtualBox from the openindiana repository was now broken. VirtualBox GUI starts but VMs crash on starting.

Are your VMs 32 bit?

I applied OI updates last week, and the update of Virtualbox package from
5.2.24 to 6.0.4 required me to tweak a couple things, but overall VB 6.0.4
is working for me.

However, there's note on the Virtualbox site that 6.0 no longer supports
32 bit VMs.  If you need 32 bit VMs, you're supposed to stay with the
5.2 series.  Not sure how you would do that on OI, but anyway.

For me, when I tried to start either of my (64 bit) VMs, I got an error
that the VM was using USB 2.0 and that was not supported.  I had to change
the settings in the VM before booting to switch it to USB 1.1, and then
it could boot.

Later on, I realized it was because I had loaded the Virtualbox extension
pack (not the guest additions, though I loaded those too), which had added
USB 2.0 support to Virtualbox, which my VMs had been making use of.  I
removed the 5.x extension pack and loaded the 6.0 extension pack, and USB
2.0 is working again.

The OI package of VB still doesn't have working audio, which I hope to
see if I can debug at some point, but the 6.0.4 version seems to have more
reliable bi-directional clipboard support.  That's been working much
better than it did under 5.x.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)