In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] timeouts with pkg update, Michal...:

I recently had a problem with just one particular server (not OI related), which reset HTTP connection. I eventually fixed it by restarting home router. Worth a try.

Do you get 503 via HTTPS as well?

I was able to fetch the file on OI desktop via HTTP & HTTPS.

With confirmation from Tony & Michal that they could download the file,
I knew the issue had to be with my connection, and that also gave me
a strong guess where the issue was.

The state-run higher education network that my workstation is part of
uses an "intrusion prevention system" from Palo Alto Networks to scan
incoming network traffic, including content downloaded over unencrypted
connections.

Once I suspected it was the Palo Alto mis-identifying the file as
malware, I switched the publisher from HTTP to HTTPS.  I was then able
to download it without issue.

I now have confirmation from our network engineers that these devices
mis-identified part of the file that was failing (part of SUNWcs) as
malware, tagging it as

        Virus/Linux.WGeneric.aayiws(268993110)

I can find no information about that signature anywhere, but either way
it was the Palo Alto device that was breaking connection.

I think HTTPS is a much better delivery method for package content than
HTTP anyway, so I'm happy to just use HTTPS from now on.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)