On 09/05/19 12:19 AM, Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg update is failing, Alexander...:

In fact it tries to do this -
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/pkg5/commit/d3187bbf6614769114482c8823a6b1adae05ea3a

Those changes are what I was thinking pkg should be doing, so you've
anticipated and already fixed the issue.

When someone does a 'pkg update', does pkg update itself *first* and then
continue with the remaining packages, or does the 'pkg update' run the
entire update using the (possibly outdated) version of pkg from the
running boot environment?

I don't think re-spawn is implemented. I've seen it in openSUSE via `zypper patch` but one was bound to execute the command twice manually, first zypper et al. were updated, then the rest.

I'm just wondering if the people that had problems because of locale
settings were getting the behavior from a pkg that was prior to your
improvement.

The old Python2-based pkg certainly was able to install the non-ASCII file name and in the same vein it should be able to remove it. The Python3-based pkg is unable to cope with non-ASCII file names, but that's not a problem for those updating now as they will get system without non-ASCII file names (I checked we distributed only two such file names and I removed them from the ca-certificates package from which bot came from).

I think there are two vectors where things break: (1) Someone is using non-UTF-8 locale, (2) someone updated pkg when non-ASCII file names were still being distributed. In both cases manual intervention may be required :(, if only setting UTF-8 locale and, respectively, rolling back to BE before Python3-based pkg and updating from there.

Sorry for not catching this soon enough.

Michal