Also check ~/.xsession-errors if there's anything of interest (except for GTK warnings).

The persistent Time Slider icon in the notification area is being started by /etc/xdg/autostart/time-slider-notify.desktop. Check if you are able to start the icon in terminal via `/usr/lib/time-slider-notify` command.

Michal